Get your Federal PIN.
Go to www.pin.ed.gov to apply for your PIN (Personal Identification Number). You will need this PIN each year to electronically:
- sign your Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- make corrections to your FAFSA
- complete loan requirements
Parents of dependent students will also need to establish their own PIN.
Get Ready To Complete the FAFSA!!!
You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You may also need records of your parents' income information if you are a dependent student or spouse if you are married.
- W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Federal Income Tax Return (IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EX or Foreign Tax Return or Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virigin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia or Palau
- Untaxed income records
- Current bank statements, business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
- Amount of child support paid or received
Fill out the FAFSA.
Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your FAFSA. You will need to include the NMU federal school code, which is 002301.
- NMU does not have a financial aid application deadline. We recommend you complete your FAFSA by March 1 to receive maximum consideration for all types of aid.
- You must fill out a new FAFSA each year for financial aid. The FAFSA application is available after January 1 of the year you plan to attend.
- If you are able to use the data retrieval tool in the FAFSA to link your IRS information, it will simplify the process.
- If you prefer to complete a paper FAFSA, call FAFSA 1-800-4-FED-AID to request a paper FAFSA to be sent to you.