VFW POST 5855 SCHOLARSHIP
These scholarships are unrestricted and may be used for any education expense.
- Must be a combat veteran and have been awarded a campaign medal or expeditionary medal
- Must be attending a university, college or trade school in the state of Michigan
- Must have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (if no post-secondary G.P.A. has been established then high school GPA will be used)
- Must be a current member of a veterans service organization (VSO)
Award: The quantity and amount of awards will be determined by the scholarship committee based on availability of funds.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2014
Additional information, instructions and application can be obtained here.
Also, application can be obtained at: NMU Veteran Students Services Office, 2107 C.B. Hedgcock
Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
This grant provides money to college or career school students to help pay their education expenses. expenses.
- You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements
- Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11
- You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death
The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year. For the 2014–15 award year (July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015), the maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,730.
Due to sequestration, award amounts for any Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant that is first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2013, and before Oct. 1, 2014, must be reduced by 7.2 percent from the award amount for which a recipient would otherwise have been entitled. Any Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant that is first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2014, and before Oct. 1, 2015, must be reduced by 7.3 percent. For example:
- For any 2014–15 Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2013, and before Oct. 1, 2014, the maximum award of $5,730 is reduced by 7.2 percent ($412.56), resulting in a maximum award of $5,317.44.
For any 2014–15 Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2014, and before Oct. 1, 2015, the maximum award amount of $5,730 is reduced by 7.3 percent ($418.29), resulting in a maximum award of $5,311.71.
The payment procedures are the same as those for the Federal Pell Grant. Learn how (and when) you’ll be paid.
Information can be found at https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/iraq-afghanistan-service#how-much-money
Veterans United Foundation Scholarship
Disabled American Veterans
Paralyzed Veterans of America
VFW Post 5855 Scholarship Fund
Learn more about this scholarship and download the application here.
There are many smaller veterans service organizations around the country that might offer scholarships. Check with your local organization or try a scholarship search.
Other Online Scholarship Searches
Several free scholarship searches can be found online. It is best to avoid any scholarship service that requires a fee.
Federal Student Aid
College Board's Scholarship Search
Student Scholarships Search