Recent Scholarly Works
- Review-essay on the influence of David Foster Wallace's novel, Infinite Jest (1996), in the Times Literary Supplement in January.
- Essay "The Collapse of Everything: William Gaddis and the Encyclopedic Novel" appeared in Paper Empire: William Gaddis and the World System. Eds. Joseph Tabbi and Rone Shavers. Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P, 2007. He also had a review of three David Markson novels appear in the Times Literary Supplement, and he was appointed to the editorial board of the electronic book review.
- Review of Steve Erickson's Zeroville appears in the Nov. 9 issue of the Times Literary Supplement.
- Published a book chapter in Polish on “Death, Mourning, and Memory in the Films of Krzysztof Kieślowski,” in The Cinema of Kieślowski, the Cinema after Kieślowski, edited by Andrzej Gwóźdź (Warsaw: Skorpion, 2006: 63-75). He also published a review of Ewa Mazierska and Elżbieta Ostrowska’s book, Women in Polish Cinema, in Canadian Slavonic Papers 48 (3-4) 2006: 426-427.
- Published Historical Dictionary of Polish Cinema (Lanham: Scarecrow Press, 2007). He also published a short chapter, "Looking Back at the Polish School Phenomenon," in a bilingual album Voices of Freedom/Les voix de la liberte (Warsaw: Skorpion, 2007: 37-41), presented at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Associate professor and editor-in-chief of Passages North, was awarded The Editors Prize in Nonfiction at the Florida Review. Excerpts from her memoir There's a Child Living in This House were published in the fall 2007. She was invited to be a contributor in the Random House anthology, Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer, out in January 2008.
- Recent publications have been included in the Chattahoochie Review (a short story, "Winter", Spring/Summer 2007), The South Carolina Review (a short story, "Pilgrims", Fall 2007), the Florida Review (winner of the Editor's Prize in Nonfiction, an excerpt for the memoir, There's a Child Living in This House, Fall 2007), and a Random House text (Naming the World and other Exercises for the Creative Writer, "Dialogue: Master of Multitasking and Sleight of Hand", Winter 2008).
- Story titled “What I Bring to the Table” in Crab Orchard Review.
- Poem, “Rattlesnake Blues,” in the Interdisciplinary Humanities: Blues and Jazz.. Beverly’s is the first entry in Louisiana in Words, a 2007 anthology of non-fiction shorts, each a minute or less, from 120 writers across the world, published by Pelican. She also recently did a blues poetry performance at La Cave de Poésie, Brasserie du Théâtre, in Montauban, France.
- Beverly also has three poems in French Connections: A Gathering of Franco-American Poets, from Louisiana Literature Press. Among the 32 poets in the anthology are Mark Strand and Bin Ramke.
Kia Jane Richmond
- Had a book chapter included in Closing the Gap: English Educators Address the Tensions Between Teacher Preparation and Teaching Writing in Secondary Schools (Information Age Publishing, 2007).
- Co-authored essay in a special issue of The Writing Instructor (September 2007). The article, "Composition Studies/English Education Connections" was written with English Education professors from CMU, EMU, and WMU. Http://www.writinginstructor.com/cseeconnections (9/20/07).
- Named editor (with Doug Baker) of MCTE's Language Arts Journal of Michigan.
Jaspal K. Singh’s
Recent publications include:
- Africa in India: The African Diaspora in India in Kamal Amrohi’s Film Razia Sultan: An Anthology of African in India, Ed. John Hawley, 2007
- Memory of Trauma in Meena Alexander’s Texts. Indian Diaspora: Retrospect and Prospect. New Delhi: Sage Publication, 2007. 55-80. (Refereed)
- Creative work, short story: ―Eternal Moments. South Asian Review: Creative
- Writing Issue. 27.3 (2007): 41-53.
- Creative work, poem: ―Culver City Gas Station. The Offbeat: Tell Me Everything. 7 (2007): 71.
- Article on writing historical fiction ("Build a Bridge to the Past") in The Writer.
- Essay entitled “Letter from America” in February 2008 issue of The Turkish Book Review, published by Plan B Publishers, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Article on travel writing (“Write with Your Feet”) published in the May 2008 issue of The Writer magazine.
Laura Soldner, David Worley, and Debra Worley
- Communication Counts: Getting It Right in College and Life, published by Pearson Education, Inc., an imprint of Longman.
- Father, Tell Me I Have Not Aged, a book of poetry, published by Marick Press, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, 2007.
- 2002 monograph, The Poetry of Immanence, has been selected by University of Toronto Press for publication in a digital format.The 2007 Peter White Scholar, Whalen is working on a critical documentary edition of George Herbert's English verse, under contract with University of Virginia Press. Article in Festschrift for Ian Lancashire: New Paths for Computing Humanists (U of Toronto).
- Book, tentatively titled, Time, Narrative, and Emotion in Early Modern England, Ashgate Press.