Career and Technology Teacher Education News
Northern Michigan University recently received approval from the Michigan Department of Education to offer a program intended to prepare career and technology teachers for Provisional/Professional Certificate endorsements and Interim Occupational Certificates in Vocational Technical education. Some candidates admitted to the program may receive an Interim Occupational Certificate to teach in a specific occupational area, while previously certified secondary teachers may be recommended to receive the additional Vocational Technical teaching endorsement. The program will be offered through the School of Education, Leadership and Public Service.
The Interim Occupational Certificate is valid for teaching in a state-approved career and technical education program (CTE). To receive an Interim Occupational Certificate, a candidate must meet the requirements of one of the following two options.
Option 1 - IX and VT Certification
1. Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Education Industrial Technology, and
2. Two years (4,000 hours) of recent (within the past 6 years) and relevant work experience in a specific occupational area (below).
To view program requirements in SEIT, click here
Option 2 - Interim Occupational Certificate (IOC)
1. Bachelor Degree in any area of concentration, and
2. Successful completion of courses TE350*and ED440*, and
3. Successfully pass the Basic Skills Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC), and
4. Document two years (4,000 hours) of recent (within the past 6 years) and relevant work experience in any of the occupational areas listed below.
The IOC is valid for a period of 5 to 6 years. By the end of that period, a recipient of the IOC must have accumulated 9 additional credits of vocationally related classes. This leads to the Occupational Education Certificate (OEC).
*TE 350 - Methods and Materials in Industrial Technology Education, 3 credits
* ED 440 - Secondary Student Teaching, 3 credits (three week placement)
Both courses may be offered via the web.
Approved Classified Instructional Programs for Vocational Technical teaching endorsement and Interim Occupational Certificates are:
|1. Airframe Technology||10. Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration|
|2. Automobile Technician (NATEF Certified)||11. Industrial Equipment Maintenance and Repair|
|3. Building Maintenance||12. Industrial Production Technician|
|4. Collision Repair Technician (NATEF Certified)||13. Machine Tool Operation/Machine Shop|
|5. Construction Trades||14. Power Plant Technology (Aircraft)|
|6. Drafting & Design Technology||15. Precision Production Trades General|
|7. Electrical/Electronics Equipment Installation and Repair General||16. Small Engine & Related Equipment Repair|
|8. Electrical and Power Transmission Installation||17. Welding, Brazing and Soldering|
|9. Electro-Mechanical Technology||18. Woodworking General|
Click here for Verification of Work Experience forms.
For more information, contact one of the following:
1. Cale Polkinghorne � 101 Jacobetti Complex � (906) 227-2552, or email@example.com
2. School of Education, Leadership and Public Service � 179 Whitman Hall � (906) 227-2728, or firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Engineering Technology � 101 Jacobetti Complex � (906) 227-2190, or email@example.com
To contact the Admissions Office at Northern, call 906-227-2650 or 800-682-9797.
The Admissions fax number, 906-227-1747. The office's general e-mail address, firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to view a Secondary Education Industrial Technology video.