Job Opportunities - Textbook TapersQualifications
- The textbook taper for Disability Services students must be a student at Northern Michigan University, must be interested in working with students with disabilities, must be enrolled in at least six credits if they are an undergraduate orfour4 credits if they are a graduate student, and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Please Note: There are no guaranteed hours with this position. Once you have completed the textbook you are taping, your job is complete. If there are other textbooks that need to be taped once you have completed your assignment, we will assign another one to you at that time.
- Assist the student who has a disability by reading the written work into a tape recorder to create a tape of the work.
- It is the responsibility of the textbook taper to pick up the tape recorder, tapes, book, course syllabus and time sheet from the Disability Services Office at 2001 C.B. Hedgcock. All materials are to be returned to the office upon completion of the task.
- Hours are to be entered in UltraTime by noon on the last Friday of the pay period, unless otherwise notified. If you do any taping for the time period after you have turned in your time card, add those hours on to your next time card.
All information regarding the service recipient is confidential. Any questions regarding the service recipient are to be referred to the coordinator of Disability Services at 906-227-1737.
- Tape the text utilizing the following criteria:
- At the beginning of each side of the tape, give the author and title, publisher and copyright date, chapter number and name and page number.
- Begin a new side of a tape for each chapter. This allows the recipient of the tapes to find the section they need without too much searching.
- When reading quotes, say "begin quote" at the beginning of the quote and "end quote" at the end.
- Bring the completed tape(s) to the Disability Services Office. Pick up blank tapes, if needed.
- Complete all taping in a timely fashion (at least one week prior to due date on syllabus).
- If you are unable to continue taping, notify the Disibility Services Office immediately. We will find another reader to complete the text you are working on. It is very difficult for both the reader and the service recipient to play "catch up" if you are unable to complete your assignment.
- Call or stop by the Disibility Services Office if any questions arise (906-227-1737, 2001 C. B. Hedgcock).