• Continuing Education and Workforce Development
  • CEWD Home
  • NMU

Seaborg Science Complex
West Science and New Science Facilities

Seaborg Science ComplexThe Seaborg Science Complex is made up of two buildings: Luther S. West Science Facility and the New Science Facility. The Glenn T. Seaborg Center in West Science is one of 33 designated mathematics/science centers in the State of Michigan.

The complex houses the School of Nursing and the Biology, Chemistry, Clinical Sciences, Geography, Mathematics/Computer Science, Physics and Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences Departments.

Classes related to these disciplines, and others, are held in the building. It features standard classrooms, interactive distance learning classrooms, large lecture halls, more than two dozen state-of-the-art laboratories, the NMU Speech-Language and Hearing Clinic, an auditorium, greenhouse, observatory and science-related displays.

Special programs like Summer College for Kids, regional conferences and public presentations are held in the complex. It is linked from West Science to the Learning Resource Center via underground tunnel and to Jamrich Hall with an enclosed skywalk.

The Seaborg NASA (National Aeronautic and Spece Agency) Educator Resource Center provides materials, workshops and activities for students, educators and community groups. In addition, the Seaborg Center Teacher Resource Room offers mathematics, science, language arts, special education and science lab materials that students, faculty and area teachers can borrow for classroom use.

The complex is named for Glenn T. Seaborg, an Ishpeming native who discovered plutonium and 10 other elements.  He was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1951 (with co-discoverer Edwin McMillan) and the 1991 National Medal of Science. Luther S. West served as the head of Northern’s Biology Department for 27 years.

 


View Larger Map