Radiography - Program Mission
Northern Michigan University radiography program is dedicated to the education of entry-level radiographers. It is the intention of this Program to promote radiographers that will function as proficient health care professionals possessing a constant concern for quality patient care and technical competency in a diverse healthcare population.
Our philosophy is to provide our students the highest quality of education with the most efficient use of our resources. The comprehensiveness of our academic offerings provides: opportunities for instruction to students from a broad range of ability levels and interests, placement of staff members and the radiography student in a one-on-one relationship of guidance and feedback during instruction, and adaptability to balance the evolution of diagnostic imaging in healthcare for personal and professional success.
Our goals are to develop students who will:
- administer effective communication skills.
- utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills in the performance of medical and imaging procedures.
- demonstrate competency in methods of patient care and radiographic imaging procedures.
- model professionalism.
Program Terminal Objectives
Upon completion of our academic and clinical competency curriculum for our profession the student will:
- practice oral, written, and electronic medical communication.
- demonstrate the knowledge of human anatomy physiology and pathology.
- anticipate and provide patient care, comfort and safety.
- apply the theories of radiologic sciences and techniques.
- demonstrate the knowledge of medical ethics and legal issues.
- operate radiographic instrumentation and equipment.
- perform radiographic procedures modifying each to accommodate for the patient or situation.
- process and quality assess diagnostic images.
- practice radiation protection for the patient, self and others.
- exercise independent judgment and discretion in the technical performance of diagnostic imaging procedures.
- promote lifelong learning to allow for adaptation to an ever-changing environment.