Classroom Support supports teaching and learning in online and classroom-based environments by providing resources, tools, and services that enable faculty to make innovative use technology to deliver and enhance pedagogically sound courses. The Audio Visual Services: Classroom Support office helps achieve this mission by providing instructional equipment and support services for classroom instruction, by providing access to and distribution of instructional materials, and by working to improve classrooms to make them more conducive to learning.
Have an idea for using instructional equipment in your course but aren't sure how to make it happen? We'd like to help you figure it out. Looking for an idea? Come by and we'll brainstorm with you! Appointments are not necessary; please stop by at your convenience. However, if you want to consult with a non-student staff member you may want to call ahead to check on availability.
Instructional equipment enhance classroom teaching and visual presentation, and have been shown to increase retention and learning outcomes. Our staff, when and where possible, supply the equipment you need to project your own or pre-recorded materials, including blu-ray, DVD or VHS, material resident on your laptop or streaming video from the internet, and audio in a variety of formats. You also have access to the Media Collection found on the top floor of Olson Library. In addition to projecting prepared materials, you may also record your own video and audio presentations using formats varying from digital cameras and podcasts to traditional camcorders and tape recorders.
What is this going to cost? It's FREE!
However, we do ask you to
- make your requests in advance when possible using the Classroom Support online request form. Classroom Support does take day of and next day requests but staff and equipment availability is less likely. A course ID is required for request submittal. All other requests must go through AudioVisual Services (ext. 2913). Instructors not familiar with the operation of equipment should make an appointment with Classroom Support staff before the class session in order to be shown how the equipment should be used properly.
- let us know if you have problems with any equipment (including equipment installed in your classrooms). If we don't know it's broken, we can't fix it!
- return any equipment borrowed for out-of-class use to the Classroom Support office (LRC 111A) by 9:00 a.m. the following morning.
On-Campus Equipment Use:
Classroom Support provides instructional equipment and support services to all on-campus classrooms, i.e., instructional spaces scheduled by Registrar and academic departments. All instructional spaces should be equipped with a transparency projector or document camera and pull-down screen. Good wireless internet access should be available everywhere on NMU's campus. All general purpose classrooms are fitted with ceiling-mounted LCD projectors, sound amplification, and DVD/VHS or Blu Ray players for laptop and video projections. To find out what equipment is available in your classroom, you may want to do a search using: locate classrooms for specific needs.
Academic departments wishing to purchase instructional equipment may call Classroom Support (ext. 2290) for a list of equipment currently supported by the University.
Off-Campus Equipment Use:
Off-campus classrooms and extension sites contain no standard instructional equipment from Classroom Support. After completing a loan form, an instructor may borrow some types of equipment from Classroom Support for use in off-campus classrooms. The instructor is responsible for Classroom Support equipment charged in his/her name. Support personnel and delivery of equipment to off-campus classrooms is not provided by Classroom Support. The instructor is responsible for operation of the equipment in the off-campus classroom; therefore it is recommended that an appointment be made with Classroom Support staff prior to the use date to be shown how to operate the equipment. The instructor must pick up equipment at the IDT office during service hours. Equipment may be returned to the Classroom Support office or the Olson Library Circulation Desk. Equipment can be delivered to and picked up from the instructor's on-campus office if arrangements are made.
Classroom Support has camcording equipment for you to schedule for setup in your classroom. Because of their particular vulnerability to theft, portable camcorders require special precautions. An Classroom Support staff person will set up camcording equipment and instruct faculty or students in its operation prior to or at the beginning of the class session. Equipment will not be left in the room until the instructor arrives. Normally an Classroom Support staff person will arrive at least five minutes before the scheduled end of the session to pick up the camcorder. If the recording session ends earlier than scheduled, the camcorder must not be left unattended at the end of class - Classroom Support should be notified. If the faculty member does not want to wait for the Classroom Support pick-up, he/she may return the camcorder directly to the Classroom Support office within a half hour of the scheduled end of the class. Faculty may also make arrangements ahead of time to pick up and return the camcorder directly from/to the Classroom Support office, again within half an hour of the scheduled class times.
Scheduling delivery of Blu Ray, DVD and VHS titles from NMU's Media Collection can be done by filling out the pertinent details on the Classroom Support online request form in the title section. The sooner you submit your requests, the greater the chances the titles will be available for your use. Classroom Support staff will deliver material upon request to your faculty office, a classroom, or you may choose to pick up the material at Olson Library's circulation desk. You should receive a confirmation within 24 hours of submittal of online requests.
We can supply personal instruction to
- help you operate installed and/or portable instructional equipment
- help you and your students record classroom presentations.
- If you require a complex setup, e.g., hooking your laptop up to a LCD projector for the first time, please make an appointment to test the equipment in the classroom before the day it's needed to make sure the it performs to your expectations.
- Please note that Classroom Support assistance related to laptops is limited to projecting sound and picture from the laptops through our equipment. The Help Desk provides assistance related to laptop software & hardware.
A Note to Academic Departments regarding equipment repairs:
Classroom Support will transport University-tagged departmental equipment requiring repair to and from Electronic maintenance. Repair costs will be charged to the department by the Engineering Department of the Learning Resources Division.