In addition to the services described throughout this handbook, the staff in Career Services is available to provide guidance regarding any student employment issues you encounter. In addition, we can develop customized training programs for employers and student staff such as interviewing skills for supervisors, customer service for student employees, and legal issues in student employment.
Please note that we offer a number of different resources to students as well. Please share the following information with your student employees:
Employers visit campus throughout the year to interview NMU students for a variety of positions.
Scheduled Skill Workshops:
Workshops addressing the following topics are offered throughout the year:
- Resume preparation
- Interviewing skills
- Professional presence
- Internships and summer employment
Each workshop also contains information on how to use technology to enhance your job search strategies.
- An On-Line Resume Posting System.
- Customized Job Search Workshops: Throughout the academic year, staff in Career Services offer workshops for classes, registered student organizations, residence hall groups, etc.
- On-Campus and Off-Campus Job Postings: The Career Services staff receive and post part-time and full-time positions for students and alumni.
- JOBOPPS listserv: Students can sign up to receive e-mail notification of workshops, employers coming to campus, job fairs, and more!
- Summer Job Listings: Hundreds of summer jobs in a variety of fields are posted with Career Services.
- Job Vacancy Bulletins: Bulletins are online and list vacancies in teaching, business & industry, school administration & higher education, and health-related occupations.
- Employer Contacts and Information: Companies file information with our office which can be reviewed by students as they research career possibilities.
- Liaison with Academic Advisement, Orientation, and the Counseling Center (HUB): Staff in Career Services work closely with staff in the HUB in order to assist students with career decisions.
- Internship and Co-Op Information: Comprehensive information on internships and co-ops is available.
- Fall Job Fair (formerly Career Awareness Day): Held annually, this job fair brings local and regional employers together with students.
- Construction Management & Technology Career Fair: Similar to the Fall Job Fair, but with a focus on construction, technology, electrical and industrial maintenance and HVAC/climate control majors in one-, two- and four-year programs.
- Summer Job Fair: Provides students looking for summer jobs the opportunity to meet with employers.
- Upper Great Lakes Collegiate Job Fair: This employment fair allows students to meet with employers recruiting for full-time and internship opportunities.
- Job Fair Postings and Advertisement: Career Services receives information on numerous job fairs throughout the year.
- Graduate Survey: Career Services staff collect, compile, and post graduate survey statistics on the website.
NMU Career Services is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday during the regular school year, and from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Thursday, during the summer. Arrangements can also be made to meet with the Career Services staff outside of these regular working hours.