- Northern's instructional facilities and residence halls are situated on 360 acres. Off-campus sites provide biological and environmental research opportunities.
- Seaborg Science Complex opened in Fall 2000.
- Center for Upper Peninsula Studies, Center for Economic Education and Entrepreneurship and Center for Native American Studies foster inter-disciplinary teaching and research in areas not traditionally covered.
- U.S. Olympic Education Center houses resident athlete programs in short track speedskating, weightlifting and Greco-Roman wrestling.
- The NMU Superior Dome is the largest wooden dome in the world facilitating sports, instruction, recreation and community events (seats 8,000).