Visiting Writer Michael Madonick Reading at NMU
On Tuesday, September 9, 2014, Michael Madonick will be reading in theMarquette/Nicolet rooms of NMU's University Center (UC), at 7:30pm.
Michael David Madonick is an Associate Professor at the University of Illinois. He was born and raised in New York City and did his undergraduate work at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida receiving a BA in English, 1972, and an MBA, 1974. After several years in commercial real estate development he returned to college and received his MFA, 1981, in Creative Writing from the University of Oregon. He taught creative writing from 1981-83 at the Oregon State Penitentiary. Following several more years in the real estate business in New Jersey, he and his wife and their three children moved to Illinois in 1990.
Madonick is a recipient of the Academy of American Poet's Prize, the New Jersey Council on the Arts "Distinguished Artist" Award, an Illinois Arts Council Grant and an Illinois Arts Council Literary Award for work that appeared in Accent magazine. He has an extensive publication record that includes such literary journals asBarrow Street, Boulevard, American Literary Review, New England Review, Epoch,Chicago Review, Southern Humanities Review, Cimarron Review, Tar RiverReview, Florida Review, New Ohio Review (/nor), Iron Horse and many others. He is the Poetry Editor of Ninth Letter, the University of Illinois literary journal. His first collection of poetry, Waking The Deaf Dog, was published by Avocet Press in New York in 2000. His second book, Bulrushes, was published by The Backwaters Press in Omaha, Nebraska, in 2013.
Most Popular Events
- Friday, September 09, 2016
- Comedian Tyler Boeh (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Friday, July 29, 2016
- NMU Alumni Wine Tasting Event at Bullfrog Creek Vineyard Hosted 5:00 am
- Thursday, October 13, 2016
- American Association of Geographers West Lakes–East Lakes Meeting 5:00 pm
- Friday, November 11, 2016
- Comedian Jeff Scheen (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Thursday, September 22, 2016
- Construction Management and Engineering Technology Career Fair 1:00 pm