Lifeguard Instructor Certification
The purpose of the instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the Red Cross Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Waterfront Skills, Waterpark Skills, CPR/ AED for professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission courses and/ or modules. Instructor candidates will also become familiar with Junior Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
Course length is approximately 32 hours, participant must attend all course sessions.
- Be at least 17 years of age on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess one of the following:
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/ First Aid/ CPR/ AED.
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/ First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/ AED for Lifeguards.
- Be able to complete a skills associated with Lifeguarding/ First Aid/ CPR/ AED.
- Online Orientation to the Red Cross.
- Online Orientation to the Lifeguarding course.
- Online Lifeguarding Instructor Precourse Exam (80 percent or better).
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session.
- Expand on information from the American Red Cross Fundamentals of Instructor Training (FIT) course to teach the courses and presentations in the Lifeguarding program.
- Demonstrate the characteristics required of an American Red Cross representative and role model.
- Teach courses in a manner that helps participants stay engaged in the learning process.
- Ensure participants' health and safety during training.
- Demonstrate skills at an appropriate level of performance.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and reports.
- Plan, organize and conduct the courses and presentations in the Lifeguarding Program in accordance with the requirements of the specific course or presentation they will be teaching, and evaluate participants.
- Monitor participants' practice and provide corrective feedback and encouragement consistent with the critical skill performance steps.
- Successfully complete the pre-course session.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Successfully complete class activities, including the required practice-teaching assignments.
- Complete the Blood Borne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission Instructor Self-Study/Pre-Test
- Score at least 80% on the basic-level Administering Emergency Oxygen final written exam.
- Score at least 80% on the Lifeguarding Instructor Course final written exam.
Certificate Issued & Validity Period
Certification validity is explained during course.
Cost and Participant Materials
- $275 for Rec Member
- $300 for Non-Member
- Materials include Instructor Candidate Manual, Book, Certification Cards, and Class supplies.
Dates and Times: Winter 2014
March 30, April 5, 6, 12
noon - 6 p.m.
*Portions of this class are taught online
Most Popular Events
- Thursday, October 13, 2016
- American Association of Geographers West Lakes–East Lakes Meeting 5:00 pm
- Friday, November 11, 2016
- Comedian Jeff Scheen (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Monday, September 26, 2016
- UNITED Conference - Monday All Day
- Friday, September 30, 2016
- Family Weekend 1:00 pm
- Saturday, October 08, 2016
- Cat Career Conference 8:30 am