Northern Michigan University's Volunteer Center and TV-6 are working together to collect canned goods for local food banks.
This is the 30th year of the TV-6 Can-a-Thon, so the Volunteer Center is celebrating with a can collection competition.
There are two divisions in the competition. The first division consists of downcampus houses and on-campus apartments. The second division is student organizations, Spooner Hall houses, and West Hall houses.
Each division will have two winners. First place from each division will receive $100 for their student organization and will appear on TV-6 with the Volunteer Center staff. Second place from each division will receive $50 for their student organization.
The competition starts Monday, Nov. 12, and student groups gather cans until the designated collection dates. The first division's collection and counting date will be 6-8 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 4 in the Payne/Halverson lobby. The second division's collection and counting date is 6-8 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 5 in the UC Atrium, outside the bookstore.
On the collection date, the group should bring all of their cans to be counted, and then awards will be given out.
For people not interested in the competition, there will be collection boxes in buildings all over campus until Thursday, Dec. 6. All food goes right to local food banks, keeping donations in the Marquette area.
Most Popular Events
- Friday, September 09, 2016
- Comedian Tyler Boeh (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Friday, July 29, 2016
- NMU Alumni Wine Tasting Event at Bullfrog Creek Vineyard Hosted 5:00 am
- Thursday, October 13, 2016
- American Association of Geographers West Lakes–East Lakes Meeting 5:00 pm
- Friday, November 11, 2016
- Comedian Jeff Scheen (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Thursday, September 22, 2016
- Construction Management and Engineering Technology Career Fair 1:00 pm