Andrew Ranville: No Island is a Man exhibition
Through December 14: Andrew Ranville: No Island is a Man
The DeVos Art Museum is presenting the first of an annual series of exhibitions in partnership with the newly established Rabbit Island artist in residence program. The 91-acre Island is located in Lake Superior off the Keweenaw Peninsula and has never been developed with the exception of a small log structure built by a fisherman in the 1800s. Though the island itself is privately owned, the Keweenaw Land Trust holds the vast majority of the island's development rights under conservation easement.
After spending over a month on the island last summer, Michigan born and London-based artist Andrew Ranville will return to Rabbit Island to become the first official artist in residence, creating work for the exhibition at the DeVos Art Museum. The exhibition will contain photography, video, sculpture and sound recordings made by Ranville, giving a feel for what it might be like to spend an extended period of time on the island.
A full-color, fully illustrated catalogue will be published in conjunction with the exhibition with essays by writer and curator Nadim Samman, artist Andrew Ranville, Rabbit Island residency founder Rob Gorski and DeVos Art Museum director and curator Melissa Matuscak. A limited edition artifact kit will be available containing the exhibition catalogue with field recordings and photographs from the island.
For more information on Rabbit Island visit:
For more information on Andrew Ranville visit:
Most Popular Events
- Friday, September 09, 2016
- Comedian Tyler Boeh (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Friday, July 29, 2016
- NMU Alumni Wine Tasting Event at Bullfrog Creek Vineyard Hosted 5:00 am
- Thursday, October 13, 2016
- American Association of Geographers West Lakes–East Lakes Meeting 5:00 pm
- Friday, November 11, 2016
- Comedian Jeff Scheen (PrimeTime Productions) 8:00 pm
- Thursday, September 22, 2016
- Construction Management and Engineering Technology Career Fair 1:00 pm