Usually by your junior year of college, you must apply for admission to the College of Business. The application can be found here. Being admitted to NMU is the first step, but students choosing business majors must meet a second set of requirements after two years of higher education to be formally admitted into the College.
These requirements are: one year of English; one year of designated math, economics, accounting courses; a computer literacy component; and two other liberal studies courses. These courses can be found on the College of Business Application. This ensures that students in upper division courses are well prepared for the concentrated material on business subjects.
Admission Policy and Procedures
Admission to Northern Michigan University does not guarantee admission to the College of Business. The following majors must apply for admission: accounting, accounting/computer information systems, accounting/corporate finance, finance, finance and risk management, information assurance/cyber defense, information systems, management, marketing, office systems, entrepreneurship, and ski area business management.
To be eligible for admission, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Complete forty-eight (48) semester credits with a minimum grade point average of 2.25 in the pre-admission courses listed below in Item 2. Current enrollment can count toward meeting the minimum requirements; however, formal admission will not be granted until successful completion of the minimum credits.
- Successfully complete the following pre-admission courses: EN 111 and 211; MA 103 and 171; ACT 230 and 240; EC 201 and 202; CIS 112 and 212; eight (8) semester credits in liberal studies courses; and other credits to total 48 semester credit hours.
Petition for exception to the above requirements must be made in writing and submitted to the Registrar's Office (2202 Hedgcock). It must include:
- Reasons why an exception should be made.
- Documentation of the reasons, if applicable.
- College of Business majors cannot enroll in NMU business courses 300 and above until they have been admitted to the College and have attained junior status (56 hours).
- In order to receive a degree from the College of Business, students must complete at least 32 credit hours (24 within the College of Business) after admission to the College.
- Students seeking a second bachelor's degree (class status PB must be admitted to the College of Business).
- Students who drop enrollment from NMU and subsequently re-enroll as a business major at a later date (re-entry students) must reactivate their admission to the College of Business and meet the minimum admission requirements prior to being approved for readmission.
Applications must be submitted by the following dates: fall semester, February 15; spring semester, October 1; summer session, February 15. Applications received after these dates will not be acted upon until the following semester.
Transfer and Returning Students
If you would like information on admission to Northern Michigan University, please check out the Admissions Web site at www.nmu.edu/admissions.
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, MI 49855