New Business Venture Competition Day
On March 29, 2017 this schedule will be followed:
1:00-2:00 Trade fair display set-up
2:00-3:00 Trade fair
2:00-4:00 Business plan presentations
7:00-8:00 Pitch presentations to the judges
8:00-9:00 Reception and winners announced
- Drinks will be available throughout the day for contestants.
- All contestants must be present.
- The events will be organized on the campus of Northern Michigan University.
- All the events are open to the campus community and visitors.
Trade Fair Presentation
- Each individual and team contestant will be provided with a six-foot table in a large room to display prototypes or artifacts or information materials and flyers relating to the product/service the contestants are proposing in their new ventures.
- Members of the team or the individual (in case of individual contestant) must be present at their designated tables to describe their displays and answer questions to visitors. All contestants should be versed in the venture to be able to explain it to visitors in 2-3 minutes.
- The Trade Fair will last an hour and be a public event.
- Individual tables will be judged for a prize for the Best Trade Fair Presentation. Thus, the products or services should be presented in a professional, attractive and informative way.
Business Plan Presentation Guidelines
- After the trade fair, each team will make an oral presentation of their Business Plan to the competition judges. The presentation will occur at the trade fair booth of the contestant. Note that the judges will already have a copy of the written Business Plan.
- All contestants must be present at the presentation.
- A maximum of 10 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes to answer questions from the judges will be available to each team or individual contestant.
- The presentations are open to all including other competitors, students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus.
- There are three prizes – first, second, and third. The prizes are awarded considering both the written and oral components of the Business Plan.
5-Minute Pitch Presentation
- One member of each team, and in the case of an individual contestant that individual, will make a presentation to the panel of judges and to an audience in the Forest Roberts Theatre. The 5-Minute Pitch Presentation should begin with a short (around one minute) video introduction. The order of the presentations will be selected randomly.
- The pitch is an oral presentation made without interruption for five minutes, and will be followed by five minutes of questions.
- The pitch, while demonstrating communication skills, describes the business proposal succinctly and persuasively so that the judges, if they were actual venture capitalists, would be eager to fund it.
- There is a prize for the best 5-Minute Pitch Presentation.
To return to the overview, click here.