Study Abroad

Students who study abroad and are enrolled in courses approved for credit at Northern Michigan University may be considered for financial aid provided all other eligibility requirements are met.

Most NMU students will use available federal, state and grant money to help pay for the costs of study abroad. Many will require additional loans and support from personal resources.

All forms of federal aid may be applied toward an NMU study abroad program. There are restrictions on some state and NMU-institutional aid if you enroll in a non-sponsored program or university. Institutional aid includes NMU Foundation grants, awards based on academic achievement or transfer, faculty/staff dependent tuition benefit and other funds granted to you directly by NMU. If you are uncertain which types of aid you currently receive, check with the Financial Aid Office.

1. If you plan to use need-based financial aid toward your study abroad, you must complete the U. S. Department of Education Free Application for Financial Assistance - the FAFSA.

2. Next, download and complete the study abroad cost worksheet form and instructions.

The Financial Aid Office can use this form to increase your cost of attendance for your semester(s) abroad and you may qualify for additional private or alternative loans.

All costs associated with your study abroad program must be backed-up with printed materials documenting the source for each dollar figure.

3. Please use a currency exchange website to convert foreign currency to U. S. dollar amounts.

4. The study abroad coordinator must review and sign your completed cost worksheet.

5. Schedule an appointment to review the signed cost worksheet with the designated financial aid officer: 906-227-2327. The officer will work with you to determine eligibility and to arrange distribution of your funding.