Study Abroad

International Affairs Office
Address: 145 Whitman Hall
Phone: 906-227-2510
Fax: 906-227-2533
Web page:
Director: John L. Weting,

Study Abroad

Full-time NMU students with a grade point average of 2.50 or higher can enrich their academic experience by studying in a country other than the United States. Such studies may apply toward the student’s academic program at Northern, provided that prior approval has been granted by the student’s academic adviser and the Registrar’s Office.


All students who are contemplating earning study abroad credit, whether or not the program is under NMU sponsorship, must apply through the International Affairs Office. Personnel at the office will work with each student to assist with the application process, coordinate course registration and budget for financial aid.

The International Affairs Office also provides mandatory pre-departure and re-entry orientation. Any student desiring to receive NMU credit for study abroad must:

  1. Attend the pre-departure orientation
  2. Complete the study abroad course preevaluation form
  3. Attend the re-entry orientation.

Please consult the International Affairs Office home page at for session scheduling information.

NMU-sponsored and affiliated programs: NMU students can apply for study-abroad programs under official university sponsorship through one of the various consortiums or exchange agreements:

  • College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS)
  • Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
  • Exchange Agreements with several universities in Europe and Asia
  • International Studies Abroad (ISA)
  • Japan Center for Michigan Universities in Hikone, Japan (JCMU)
  • Midwest Consortium for Study Abroad (MCSA) and Northwest Consortium for Study Abroad (NCSA), operating through AHA International

Through these programs, NMU offers study-abroad opportunities in more than thirty foreign countries. The university participates in exchange agreements with universities in Europe and Asia. Most study-abroad programs offer instruction in English as well as instruction in the host country’s language.

Language immersion opportunities are available in many countries throughout the world.

Non-NMU affiliated programs: Students may apply for non-NMU study-abroad programs after consulting with their major department and with approval from the International Affairs Office. These include programs sponsored by other colleges, universities or third-party private sponsors.

Some restrictions on credit transfer apply. Students must carefully review program specifics with their academic adviser and the International Affairs Office. Special conditions for applying financial aid must be arranged through the International Affairs and Financial Aid Office.

Directed studies: Students who choose to undertake independent travel, work, internships or research abroad may receive academic credit for such experience by arranging a directed study with an NMU professor prior to departure.

International student teaching: The International Affairs Office assists the School of Education, Leadership and Public Service in coordinating student teaching placements abroad. Qualified applicants may apply to established programs. Individual arrangements in other countries are also possible, with prior approval of the Director of Field Experiences for the School of Education, Leadership and Public Service.