Director Human Resources – Ford Motor Company
Effective October 1, 2013, Rick Popp is the Director Human Resources for Global Marketing, Sales, and Service (MS&S) and Corporate Communications. In his new role, Mr. Popp is a member for Ford’s MS&S, Communications, and HR senior leadership teams and is responsible for HR Business Operations, which includes individual, organization, and team capability development, performance management, succession and compensation planning, and other responsibilities as the HR business partner of these global operations.
Mr. Popp has been with Ford Motor Company for over 23 years and has held various positions throughout the Company.
From January 2008 to October 2013, Mr. Popp was Director Employee Benefits, Ford Motor Company. In that position, Mr. Popp was a member of Ford's Global Human Resources leadership team, reporting to Ford's Group Vice President of Human Resources and Corporate Services, and was responsible for:
- Global benefits planning, strategy, and governance
- U.S. benefits administration, including benefit negotiations with the United Auto Workers (UAW) and other unions representing Ford employees
- Core benefit programs, including Retirement/Pensions, Health, Life & Disability Insurance, and additional programs including International Service & Relocation and Company Vehicle Programs
In that assignment, Mr. Popp led Ford's Employee Benefits Office through a difficult period in the auto industry and a period of transformation for Ford Motor Company, which included major employee and retiree benefit changes, total benefits administration outsourcing, global international service administration consolidation and sourcing, the first major U.S. retiree lump sum offering to 95,000 former Ford employees, national bargaining with the UAW in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2011, and various cost saving measures totaling billions of dollars, while at the same time significantly improving operational performance, upgrading customer service and administration technology, implementing robust internal controls and raising then maintaining high team morale.
Prior to his benefits role, Mr. Popp was Director of Human Resources, Ford of Mexico, where he helped Ford achieve the honor of being named "Best Place to Work 2007" in Mexico for the first time by a leading Mexican business magazine. Prior to his assignment in Mexico, Mr. Popp held various HR leadership positions with responsibilities in labor relations and contract negotiations, joint ventures, corporate compensation, organization and personnel planning, organization development, and multiple HR assignments in Ford's manufacturing facilities.
Mr. Popp holds a Master's degree in Public Administration, with an emphasis in personnel and labor relations, and a B.S. degree in Computer Science, both from Northern Michigan University. He is also a "fellow" of the 2001 inaugural Wharton Fellows Program, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton Executive Education, and recently graduated from Ford’s Organization Design Institute.
Mr. Popp also serves/served as:
- Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees for Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan (first appointed as Trustee by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder in 2011 to 8-year term)
- Executive Committee Member, Conference Board Research Council on Employee Benefits
- Former Ford Motor Company representative on the Economic Alliance of Michigan, a business-labor coalition focused on legislative and regulatory lobbying on employer benefit related issues, including health care, workers' compensation, and unemployment insurance.
- Founding and former Member of the Board of Directors for the National Institute for Health Care Reform, a health care policy research organization establish by the United Auto Workers, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Chrysler in the 2007 UAW collective bargaining agreements
- Former Member of the Board of Directors for Health Alliance Plan (HAP), a non-profit health plan based in Detroit, MI, providing health care coverage to over 500,000 members
- Former Board member of Dentemax, the former for-profit dental PPO network subsidiary of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.