FORMAL RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY – Marquette, Michigan
September 27-28, 2007
1. That the minutes of the July 19-20, 2007 meeting of the Board be approved.
B. Gifts, Grants, Agreements and Contracts:
1. A gift to the School of Art and Design from Jim Godell, Marquette, Michigan, various photography books ($516.36 appraised value).
2. A gift to Technology and Occupational Sciences from Ronald Strong and Cheryl Lewis-Strong, Marquette, Michigan, a 1991 Oldsmobile four-door (value to be determined at sale).
3. A gift to Technology and Occupational Sciences from Robert Heikkinen, Marquette, Michigan, a 1992 Toyota Previa station wagon (value to be determined at sale).
4 A grant from the Small Station Training Scholarship for Mr. David Bett to attend the PBS Technology and NAB Conference, in the amount of $1,000, with an in-kind University match of $1,326 from TV Broadcast Engineering, for a total award of $2,326, for the period April 10, 2007, through June 30, 2007, under the direction of Mr. Eric Smith.
5. A grant from the Michigan Department of State to purchase new training motorcycles, in the amount of $6,622, for the period July 15, 2007, through September 30, 2007, under the direction of Mr. Cameron Hadley.
6. A grant from the Michigan Department of Education, to fund the production and distribution of a recruitment video for NMU’s Secondary Education – Industrial Technology Program, in the amount of $7,240, for the period July 1, 2007, through June 30, 2008, under the direction of Mr. Michael Turino.
7. The sub-agreement between Northern Michigan University and the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), to develop an Earth System Science curriculum, encourage action research for teachers, and support an emergent online Masters of Science in Science Teaching Program, in the amount of $10,000, with a School of Education cash match of $5,233, and an in-kind University match of $6,828, for a total amount of $22,061, for the period of June 1, 2007, through October 31, 2007, under the direction of Mr. Mitchell Klett.
8. A grant from the Economic Development Corporation, to train employees at Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation in Ontonagon, MI, in the amount of $18,000, with a cash/in-kind Smurfit-Stone match of $10,995, for a total award of $28,995, under the direction of Mr. Joseph Holman, for the time period of August 1, 2007, through July 20, 2008.
9. A grant from Marquette County Emergency Management to purchase forensic computers for each department attending the Forensic Computer Program Training session being conducted by grant funds received by the Michigan commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES), in the amount of $60,000, under the direction of Mr. Michael Bath.
10. A grant from the U.S. Department of Education, in the amount of $285,828 for the Student Support Services program, for the period September 1, 2007, through August 31, 2008, under the direction of
Dr. Peter Holliday.
11. A grant from the U.S. Department of Education for an Upward Bound program, in the amount of $347,166, for the period September 1, 2007, through August 31, 2008, under the direction of Mr. Jeffrey Gagnon.
12. The grant agreement between the United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service, and Northern Michigan University for the conversion of WNMU Television Station services from analog to digital broadcasting in compliance with Federal Communications Commission mandates, in the amount of $1,000,000, for the period of September 26, 2006, through September 26, 2009, under the direction of Mr. Bruce Turner.
13. The Digital Distribution Fund grant agreement from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, to cover costs related to the transition from the use of analog to digital technology for the provision of public broadcasting services, in the amount of $1,004,883, with an operating reserves cash match of $430,663, for a total amount of $1,435,546, for the period of October 27, 2006, through May 1, 2009, under the direction of Mr. James Hytinen.
C. Personnel Actions:
1. That the following appointments be approved:
Name Title Effective Date
Alderton Denise Senior Secretary 12/11/06
Ballard, Joseph Assistant Football Coach 04/02/07
Bammert, David Development Officer 10/02/06
Beauchamp, Jamie Assistant Controller 12/11/06
Beaulieu, Andrew Electronics Maintenance Engineer 12/22/06
Bonner, Julie Principal Secretary 12/14/06
Bonte, Anson Resident Director 07/22/07
Bowerman, Julie Director-Upward Bound Ctr Math/Sci 05/29/07
Brzezinski, Kristy Resident Director 07/22/07
Carlson, Melinda Senior Clerk II 12/13/06
Cihak, Jessica Marketing & Promotions Manager 11/29/06
Constantino, Cindy Food Service Worker I 04/29/07
Coursey, Maria Senior Clerk 12/11/06
Crampton, Mary Development Officer 03/05/07
DelBello, Megan Resident Director-Spooner Hall 07/19/07
Diem, Alice Catering Manager 03/26/07
Erickson, Allison Director-Advancement Information Services 10/18/06
Facca, Robert Assistant Ice Hockey Coach 08/01/07
Gaines, Donald Plumber/Pipefitter/HVAC Repair 10/27/06
Grout, Vincent Campaign Coordinator/Administrative Asst. 10/23/06
Gustafson, Ruebin Buildings and Grounds Attendant 02/04/07
Guston, Grant Academic Electronics Tech. 01/22/07
Herbig, Matthew AV Technician 07/01/07
Janquart, Kerry Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach 07/30/07
Kallioinen, Leslie Senior Clerk II 12/04/06
Kangas, Kristi Call Center Coordinator 01/24/07
L’Huillier, Kelly Senior Secretary II 07/19/07
Loveless, Randy Security Police Officer 11/20/06
Malnor, Lori Senior Secretary 10/03/06
Martinez, Marlina Secretary 08/20/07
Matuscak, Melissa DeVos Museum Director/Curator 06/25/07
McNeal, Courtney Resident Director 07/22/07
Mikus, Arthur Barista Specialist 03/20/07
Mileski, Nathan Senior Chef/Unit Manager 03/19/07
Nowicki, Aaron Resident Director 07/22/07
Oja, Beth Security Police Officer 05/04/07
Parks, Thomas Security Police Officer 06/25/07
Parsley, Christie Senior Secretary II 03/26/07
Pistulka, William Charter Schools Officer 04/09/07
Proehl, Kari Senior Admissions Counselor 08/06/07
Sailer, Carrie Assistant Athletic Trainer 07/16/07
Savage, Tanya Service Specialist 01/25/07
Slamer, Kristin Assistant Women’s Volleyball Coach 08/07/07
Sprague, Michael Food Service Worker II 03/19/07
Truckey, Daniel Beaumier Museum Director 07/02/07
Wernholm, Victor Coordinator-Hockey Operations 10/23/06
Wooldridge, Patricia Account Clerk II 11/13/06
2. Compton, Jill M., Internal Auditor, effective August 27, 2007.
3. Howes, M. Cameron, Interim Director of Technology & Applied Sciences, effective July 23, 2007.
4. Koch, Susan J., Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, effective July 1, 2007.
5. Laughna, Robert J., Head Coach-Women’s Swimming/Diving, effective August 20, 2007.
6. Sherman, Ann M., Director of Human Resources, effective September 17, 2007.
7. That Dr. Billy Blodgett be granted the status of Professor Emeritus of Sociology/Social Work, effective October 1, 2007.
1. That the final list of August 2007 graduates be approved. A copy of the list is on file with the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
E. Property and Finance:
That the revised Retiree Health
Insurance policy be approved. A copy is on file with the Secretary of
the Board of Trustees.
That the 2007-2008 Designated
Fund Recommended Budget be approved. A copy of the budget is on
file with the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
That the 2007-2008 General Fund
Operating Budget be approved. A copy of the budget is on file with
the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
That Northern Michigan University’s Facilities Five Year Master Plan, as
required by the Department
of Management and Budget, and the 2008-2009 Capital Outlay Project Request be approved. A copy
of the plan and the project request is on file in the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
the financial report for Northern Michigan University for the fiscal year ended
June 30, 2007, and
all related transactions be approved. A copy of the financial report is on file with the Secretary of the
Board of Trustees.
F. Special Items:
The International Affairs Office name be
changed to the Office of International Programs effective Fall
The Board accept the 2007-2008 Presidential Goals focusing on 1)
Curriculum for 21st Century/
Internationalization, 2) Enrollment and Retention, 3) Three to Five Year Planning Process, and
4) Revenue Enhancement.