FORMAL RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY – Marquette, Michigan
February 20, 2009
1. That the minutes of the December 11-12, 2008, meeting of the Board be approved.
B. Gifts, Grants, Agreements and Contracts:
gift to the Department of Technology and Occupational Sciences from Cliffs
Natural Resources, Ishpeming, Michigan, 2 ea K&E Th43 Theodolite Transits,
1 Wessco Surveyor’s Tripod, and 1 K&E Level Rod ($365 value).
2. A gift to the Department of Technology and Occupational Sciences from Allen and Kathy Solka, Ishpeming, Michigan, 1 full size hand-made quilt made out of Moda’s Trail Adventures Line ($750 value).
3. A gift to the Department of Political Science from
Mary C. Lukens, Ann Arbor, Michigan, various
political-related books ($962 value).
grant between the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community and Northern Michigan
University, for the Indigenous Earth Issue Summit and the 2009 Annual Pow Wow,
in the amount of $16,000 ($8,500 for the Indigenous Earth Issues Summit; $7,500
for the Annual Pow Wow), under the direction of
Ms. April Lindala.
grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, to conduct the DeVos Art
Museum’s first general preservation assessment survey of the museum’s
collection of approximately 1,000 items, in the amount of $6,000, with an
additional amount of $1,817 from the DeVos Art Museum, for a total amount of
$7,817, for the period of January 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010, under the
direction of Ms. Melissa Matuscak.
6. The grant between the MEEMIC Foundation for the Future of Education and Northern Michigan University, to support the International Performing Art Series, in the amount of $1,000, with an additional amount of $7,200 from the International Performing Arts Series, for a total amount of $8,200, for the time period of October 17, 2008, through April 22, 2009, under the direction of Mr. Daniel Truckey.
year three sub-agreement between Northern Michigan University and the Institute
for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), to develop an Earth System Science
curriculum, encourage action research for teachers, and support an emergent
online Masters of Science in Science Teaching Program, for an additional amount
of $10,000, bringing the total award to $40,000, with a School of Education
amount of $7,057, and an In-Kind University amount of $2,050, for a total
amount of $19,107, for the time period of November 1, 2008, through October 31,
2009, under the direction of Mr. Mitchell Klett, be approved.
8. The grant between the Michigan Humanities Council and Northern Michigan University, Beaumier Heritage Center, to support the “Stories in the Woods” traveling exhibition highlighting the rich storytelling tradition in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in the amount of $15,000, with an additional amount of $10,766 from the Beaumier Heritage Center, and an In-Kind university amount of $15,885, for a total amount of $41,651, for the period of November 15, 2008, through November 30, 2009, under the direction of Mr. Daniel Truckey.
9. The grant between Dickinson-Iron ISD and Northern
Michigan University, for a Mathematics and
Science Partnership to provide professional development for science teachers from grades 3-7 from 40
U.P. school districts, in the amount of $64,360, for the time period of July 1, 2008, through
August 30, 2009, under the direction of Ms. Debra Homeier.
C. Personnel Actions:
Sullivan, Tom, Professor Emeritus of Sociology and Social Work,
effective March 1, 2009.
D. Special Items
That an ad hoc Committee on Recruitment and Retention, with two members
of the Board of Trustees
and two members of the administration, be approved for the period January 1, 2009, through
December 31, 2009. The membership will consist of:
Mr. Gilbert L. Ziegler, Member, Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
Dr. L. Garnet Lewis, Member, Board of Trustees
Mr. William Bernard, Associate Provost for Student Services and Enrollment
Ms. Cindy L. Paavola, Director of Communications and Marketing