FORMAL RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY – Marquette, Michigan
September 25, 2009
1. That the minutes of the July 17, 2009, meeting of the Board be approved.
B. Gifts, Grants, Agreements and Contracts:
1. A gift to the Forest Roberts Theatre from Dr. James Panowski, Marquette, MI, 2 Realistic Speakers #40-32, Realistic Cassette Recorder/Player #14-643, Optimus DVD Player #42-5030, Kenwood AM/FM Receiver #KR-A4040, and Sony Personal Audio System #28D5 ($340 value).
2. A gift to the Forest Roberts Theatre from Dr. James Panowski, Marquette, MI, 383 CDs of Broadway Shows ($1,915 value).
3. A gift to the Department of Engineering Technology from Sara Lee Bakery, Marquette, MI, a steel table, machine lathe, table top milling machine, 6” flexible tubing, ground and polished shaft stock, polyurethane flat stock, stainless steel solid round stock, and electric motor ($5,100 value).
4. A gift to the Department of Communication and Performance Studies from Ms. Susan Peimer, Marquette, MI, a Schimmel 5’10” Grand Piano ($14,700 value).
5. The fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities, in the amount of $50,400, to provide Dr. Robert Whalen a fellowship for his project titled, “A Documentary Edition of George Herbert’s English Poems,” for the period of July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010.
6. The grant from the Michigan Department of Education for Professional Development Fast Track, in the amount of $1,000 for the time period July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2009, under the direction of Mr. Daryl Kobie.
7. The U.S. Department of Education TEACH Grant Program, to approve the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grants effective August 1, 2008 which provides annual grants of up to $4,000 to eligible undergraduate and graduate students who agree to teach specified high-need subjects at schools serving primarily disadvantaged populations for four years within eight years of graduation, under the direction of Mr. Mike Rotundo.
8. The grant between Michigan Campus Compact and Northern Michigan University, to fund an academic service learning project for ten nursing students to mentor ten to twelve youth participants from the KI Sawyer area, in the amount of $1,896, with an additional amount of $140 from the Admissions Office and an In-Kind University amount of $2,750, for a total amount of $4,741 for the time period of September 1, 2009 through August 31, 2010, under the direction of Ms. Eileen Smit.
9. The grant between the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community and Northern Michigan University, for the Upper Peninsula Indian Education Conference and the Native American Student Empower Initiative (NASEI), in the amount of $10,500 ($7,965 for the Upper Peninsula Indian Education Conference; $2,535 for NASEI), under the direction of Ms. April Lindala
10. The contract between Northern Michigan University and Marquette-Alger Regional Educational Service Agency (MARESA) to provide secondary vocational education for high school students in the MARESA district, in the amount of $37,222, for the time period August 15, 2009 through June 30, 2010, under the direction of Mr. Daryl Kobie.
11. The grant from the U.S. Department of Education, for a collaborative project with Western Illinois University, Universidade Federal Rural de Amazonia, and Universidade Federal del Lavras, that will prepare U.S. and Brazilian students for highly skilled 21st Century jobs that require expertise in entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility, and sustainable economic development, in the amount of $59,420, with additional amounts of $5,518 from the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, $3,000 from International Programs, and an In-Kind University amount of $10,725, for a total amount of $78,663, for the period August 1, 2009, through July 31, 2010, under the direction of Mr. Ray Amtmann.
12. The grant from the U.S. Department of Education for an Upward Bound program to provide academic and social support to 65 low-income high school students from the surrounding area, in the amount of $347,166, for the period September 1, 2009, through August 31, 2010, under the direction of Mr. Jeffery Gagnon.
13. The grant from the U.S. Department of Education, in the amount of $321,484, with an additional amount of $28,409 from the NMU Board of Trustees Scholarship account, for a total award of $349,893, for the Student Support Services program to serve and assist low income, first generation college students and students with disabilities to achieve academic success, for the period September 1, 2009 through
August 31, 2010.
14. The grant from the State of Michigan, Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth, for the continuation of an accelerated Post-Master’s Nursing Education Certificate Program, in the amount of $570,000, with an additional amount of $12,792 from general fund operations, for a total award of $582,792, for the period of February 3, 2009, through June 30, 2010, under the direction of Ms. Julie Higbie.
15. The U.S. Department of Education awards, for the period July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010, in the amount of $325,700 for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program and $862,931 for the Federal Work Study Program, under the direction of Mr. Mike Rotundo.
C. Personnel Actions:
1. Anderton, John B., Head and Professor w/ Tenure, Geography, effective July 1, 2009. (Interim Department Head to Department Head)
2. Black, Douglas M., Assistant Professor, Academic Information Services/Library, a tenure track appointment, effective August 19, 2009. (New appointment)
3. Cherry, Brian, Head and Professor with tenure, Political Science, effective July 1, 2009. (Interim Department Head to Department Head)
4. Kapla, Dale P., Head and Assistant Professor, Criminal Justice, effective July 1, 2009. (Interim Department Head to Department Head)
5. Riipi, Linda R., Head and Professor, Clinical Sciences, effective September 1, 2009. (Professor to Department Head & Professor)
6. Ventre, Raymond J., Head and Professor, English, effective July 1, 2009. (Interim Department Head to Department Head)
7. That the following staff appointments be approved:
Name Title Effective Date
Barry, Leigh A. Business/Community Support Coordinator 03/09/09
Bartczak, Brian T. Assistant Women’s Volleyball Coach 06/17/09
Berger, Kathryn S. Admissions Counselor 09/08/08
Bischof, Teresa S. Senior Clerk II 07/07/09
Bjorne, Kevin C. Information/Technology Administrator 06/22/09
Buckmaster, Andrew L. Mechanic II 03/09/09
Carr, Carol L. Director-Annual Giving 06/01/09
Clarken, Rehema International Programs Specialist 05/04/09
Dellangelo, Mark A. Academic & Career Counselor 08/14/09
Gillespie, Thomas J. Instructional Technologist 01/05/09
Hanson, Benjamin C. PC Inventory/Billing Specialist 12/01/08
Hayes, Jill R. Production Manager 03/02/09
Huuki, Dody M. Senior Secretary 02/09/09
Jennings, Nathan R. Food Service Worker II 01/11/09
Kyllonen, Jeffrey N. Senior Electrician 02/18/09
LaPointe-Tolonen, Brigitte R. Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach 06/01/09
Leedle, Tammy Food Service Worker I 03/30/09
MacDonald, Virginia A. Account Clerk I 11/03/08
Poupore, Kimberly A. Senior Secretary II 07/15/09
Reschka, Walter J. Chief Engineer 08/05/09
Sartori, Katherine E. Resident Director 07/19/09
Schmidt, Jeron A. Admissions Counselor 08/31/09
Shiver, Dylan D. Resident Director 09/02/08
Stuart, Alana K. Admissions Counselor 09/24/08
Sundberg, Heather M. Senior Secretary 11/17/08
Tomberg, David L. Mail Processing Clerk 11/21/08
Trdan, Suzanne M. Barista Specialist 08/26/09
Tuttle, Bryce H. Help Desk Consultant 02/05/09
VanLinden, Joseph E. Buildings and Grounds Attendant 09/15/08
Varian, Anna M. Fish Biology Research Technician 09/01/08
Willig, Leslie A. Senior Library Assistant 08/31/09
Willour,Eric R. Police Officer/Security Police Officer 01/05/09
the final list of August 2009 graduates be approved. A copy of the list
is on file with the
Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
E. Property and Finance:
1. The Financial Report for
Northern Michigan University for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009, and all
related transactions be approved. The audit of these statements was conducted by Rehmann Robson,
Certified Public Accountants. The statements were reviewed and approved by the Finance Committee
of the Board of Trustees. A copy of the Financial Report is on file with the Secretary of the Board of
2. The 2009-2010 General Fund
Operating Budget be approved. A copy of the
budget is on file with the
Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
3. The 2009-2010 Designated Fund
Recommended Budget be approved. A copy of the budget is on file
with the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
F. Special Items:
1. That the current Black Box Theatre be named the Dr. James A. Panowski Black Box Theatre effective October 1, 2009.
2. That the following individual be
appointed as a board member for the following Public School
Burton Glen Charter School
Richard M. Vanderkaar expiration date: June 30, 2011
Board accept the 2009-2010 Presidential Goals focusing on 1) Enrollment and
Retention, 2) Road
Map Initiatives, and 3) Revenue Enhancement.