Student learning is the reason why faculty put forth the time and energy to include academic service learning experiences in their courses. Specifically, academic service learning benefits students by:
- Bringing hands-on learning to the classroom, which
- Provides experiences that bridge the gap between classroom learning and what is expected in real world career fields
- Provides experiences that attract future employers/graduate schools
- Enhances students' academic transcripts
- Provides opportunities for community involvement
- Offers experiences for Superior Edge
The ideal academic service learning project benefits all of the involved parties: students, faculty, the community and the university.
"I had an amazing time at the YMCA with the children. The 'hands on learning' is 100x better than sitting in the classroom."
NMU student in PE246-Adapted Physical Education