Academic service learning offers a number of significant advantages to faculty by:
- Bringing a fresh, invigorating approach to teaching
- Enhancing in-class discussion by providing students with practical, real world experience
- Providing opportunities for research and publication
- Supporting Road Map to 2015 goals
- Serving as a promotion and tenure activity
"Academic service learning provides NMU students with encouragement to complete their college education, practice skills, and find ways to volunteer in their communities."
Dr. Kia Richmond, NMU English professor