The Archives of the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Mining Company (CCI)
The Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives acquired the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Mining Records from the state of Michigan in 2001. The records are on deposit with NMU and are still owned by the state of Michigan. Previously, the State Archives of Michigan maintained the records.
In 1959 the State of Michigan acquired land formerly owned by CCI in Fayette, Michigan, and restored it as a State Historical Park by the Michigan Department of Conservation. Among the materials found by the Department during the first days of the restoration project were the records of the Cleveland Cliffs Company. Wooden storage boxes full of records were removed to the Department’s headquarters at Marquette for examination. Those relating to Fayette were sorted out and returned to the Park. Boxes of records relating to other aspects of the Company were removed to the museum of the Marquette County Historical Society for storage. Records described here were delivered to the State Archives on June 25, 1965, following the transfer of records from the Company to the Michigan Department of Conservation, Parks Division. The State Archives received two more accessions in 1966 and 1968.
The following links will take you to descriptive finding aids to the collection now maintained by the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives. To request reference service, please use the online reference form or contact the University Archivist for more information.