What are papers?

Papers are collections of materials from an individual or family.

What are records?

Records are collections of materials about an institution or organization.

What is "extent"?

The extent is the physical size of the collection. It is usually measured in cubic feet (one cubic foot equals about one archival box).

How can I search for a finding aid?

To search for a finding aid within the NMU Archives, type a term into the search box. You can also scroll through the alphabetical listing to select a finding aid by name.

How can I search within a finding aid?

To search within a finding aid, use your computer's "find" function (control+f or apple+f on the keyboard).

How do I know where to find a collection?

Each finding aid has an "ID." It will look something like this: MSS-123. Make note of the ID so that a member of the Archives staff can assist you in locating the materials.

Is the collection I need digitized and available online?

We are digitizing some of our more frequently used collections, and those that have been completed are available online. To view the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company records, click here, and to view the Local Government Records, click here. A select number of Italian Oral History interviews are also available for listening online here.

Any more questions?

Please feel free to call the Archives at 1-906-227-1225, email archives@nmu.edu, or stop by during our business hours (Monday-Friday 8-12 and 1-5 during the school year, Monday-Thursday 7:30-12 and 1-6 during the summer).