Alumni Legacy Scholarship for Michigan residents
2009-10 Scholarship recipient Heidi Hill and her mother, Carol Hill '80.
The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered exclusively to students whose parent (or grandparent) is a Northern Michigan University alumnus and reside in the state of Michigan. The NMU Alumni Association will award up to two $500 Legacy Scholarships annually. Student may re-apply.
In order to qualify for this award, students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be the child (or grandchild) of a NMU graduate who is a current member of the NMU Alumni Association
- Must be a Michigan resident attending NMU, having earned at least 60 credits (Junior status)
- Must be a continuous, full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester for the duration of the award
- Must complete and return the Alumni Legacy Certification form by the specified deadline.
- Must complete a Personal Statement paper that addresses the following:
--Please describe your extracurricular involvement (school, community and/or
spiritual organizations) during the past three years;
--For your parent (grandparent) who is an alum, what do they describe to you as their best memory of their NMU experience?
--Why did you choose to attend NMU?
--Any other information you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Must be an NMU graduate and dues-paying member of the NMU Alumni Association
- Must complete an Alumni Legacy Certification Form
Send your children to Northern.
Dependents of out-of-state NMU Alumni pay in-state tuition rates. By graduating from Northern, you earned a very special benefit. Your dependents can attend NMU at rates comparable to in-state tuition rates (dependent must be 24 years old or younger.)
It doesn't matter whether you live in Kokomo, Kewaunee, Keokuk, Kodiak or Katmandu! All that matters is that you hold an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree from NMU.
To take advantage of this program call:
Ask for information about the Alumni Dependent Tuition Program or e-mail the NMU Admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org