We encourage you to visit Monday through Friday in order to get the best feel for campus.
To provide you with the best possible visit, please allow us two weeks to schedule your visit. Some of the activities you may want to experience:
- Meet one on one with a professor in your intended major.
- You can chat about everything from course offerings to career goals.
- Please note: there are some times during the year that an academic appointment may not be available. We will alert you to those dates as we schedule your visit.
- Tour our scenic campus with a student guide.
- Watch the Northern community in action. On your tour you'll visit a residence hall to see a "typical" room, view the Wildcat Den cafeteria and Marketplace dining center, walk through various academic buildings to check out our classrooms and labs, and peruse our library.
- Speak with an admissions counselor.
- Discuss your goals and learn how NMU can help you achieve them. Discover how you can apply to and afford to attend Northern Michigan University. (If you visit during the week, you can even find out about your admission status while you're here!)
- Meet with our experts regarding first generation or veteran status. NMU is "First Gen Friendly" and a "Military-Friendly Institution."
- Attend a campus or community event.
- If you have the time, sit in on a campus-wide discussion, cheer for our athletic teams, witness an NMU theater production, or participate in one of the many other NMU activities on campus.
- Find out more about our clubs, organizations and other aspects of student life.
- Along with all our natural wonders, you'll discover more than 300 clubs and organizations on campus, including academic, service, social, professional, religious and special-interest groups.
- Drop by one of our eating establishments.
- Sample the daily selections with NMU students and faculty who gather to chat, relax and satisfy their cravings.
- Hit the slopes.
- If you mention "ski free" when you call to arrange your visit, we'll give you a one-day pass to ski or snowboard free at nearby Marquette Mountain. (The pass can be used anytime throughout the year. Some restrictions apply.)
- Rest Easy.
- Participants in the Campus Visit Program can receive 50 percent off one night's regular, full-price rate at participating lodging establishments. Ask one of our staff about this discount when scheduling your visit.
To schedule a visit, go to the campus visit registration form.
In the event that NMU is closed due to inclement weather, the Admissions Office and the Campus Visit Program will also be closed in compliance with university policy (therefore, all appointments are cancelled). We will try to contact you in time to warn you of the possibility of inclement weather prior to your visit. If the weather is questionable on the day of your visit, please call the NMU Inclement Weather Line at 906-227-2777 or NMU Public Safety at 906-227-2151 to determine if the university is open. Thank you for your patience and understanding.